1 Medium Head of Cabbage
1-3 tbsp Himalayan pink salt
1. Chop or shred cabbage. Sprinkle with salt.
2. Knead the cabbage with clean hands, or pound with a potato masher for about 10 minutes, until there is enough liquid to cover the cabbage in your sterilised jar.
3. Put the cabbage into a sterilised mason jar, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid. If necessary, add a bit of water to completely cover the cabbage.
4. Fold a small piece of cabbage leaf and put in on top of the sauerkraut to protect the top and then cover the jar with a tight lid.
5. Keep at room temperature for at least 2 weeks until desired flavour has been achieved.
6. Burp daily by opening the jar and releasing the excess pressure.
7. Taste the sauerkraut regularly and once it has the flavour you like put the lid on and refrigerate.
8. The flavour of the sauerkraut will develop with age.
Leave a Comment