Cooking Time: 80 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
This is a very tasty meal. The flavours in this recipe are deeper if left over night so great one to prepare on the weekend and have ready for any weekday meal.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Onions (chopped)
- 2 1/2 tbsps Chilli Powder1
- 1/2 tsps Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsps Garlic Powder
- 2 tsps Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Powder (or 5 drops of Tabasco Chipotle chilli sauce)
- 2 tbsps Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Stock Of Choice
- 2 cups Chopped Capsicum (any colors)
- 1/4 Chopped Chilli (optional use more for intense heat)
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Low Sodium Tamari Or Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke (Gives deep smokey flavour. Add an extra teaspoon of smokey paprika if not available)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 3 cups Cooked Black Beans (or 2 15 oz. cans, drained and rinsed well)
- 1 1/2 cups Crushed Walnuts
- 2 cups Fresh Or Frozen Corn Kernels
- Toppings Like Fresh Coriander (optional, avocado or vegan cheese shreds)
- Add the oil and onion to a large, lidded cooking pot. Saute the onion over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
Add the chilli powder, paprika, garlic powder, basil, chipotle powder or tabasco, cumin, oregano, pepper and no-salt seasoning. Add a few
splashes of the stock to deglaze the pan and simmer 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly and/or add more if the spices are burning at all.
- Stir in the capsicum and the chilli and the rest of the stock. Simmer about 7 minutes.
Add the canned tomatoes, maple syrup, soy sauce, salt, liquid smoke and water. Loosely lid the pot and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring
Stir in the lemon juice, quinoa, black beans, walnuts and corn. Reduce the heat to medium low, lid the pot and simmer about 50 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Add enough water to make it the consistency you like as you need to.
Serve with your favourite toppings.
Serves around 8 people.
Leave a Comment